City of Ludowici
Ludowici (pronounced "Loo'duh-wee'-see") is the Long County seat. Incorporated on August 23, 1905, the city remembers William Ludowici, a German immigrant who contributed substantially to the construction of the county high school.
The Long County courthouse in Ludowici, constructed in 1926, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Also on the National Registry is the Ludowici Well Pavilion. Built in 1907, the well provided public drinking water for many years.
The Ludowici Brick and Tile Company employed hundreds of people in the early 20th century. The company produced the Ludowici tile, a distinctive clay roofing material that was popular among contractors in Florida at that time. A number of homes in the city still feature these distinctive roofs.